Small Town Living at Its Best

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall have everlasting life.











Thursday, August 19, 2010

Vintage Thursday







This is a photo of an old sausage stuffer. Way back when (and at our house, now) it was used to make sausages when people processed their own meats. The hole in the front has a piece that comes out and fits into the casings. The crank on the side is turned until the casing is full, then turned backward very quickly to let off the pressure while you twist the end and place a metal clip on it to hold it. We made 27, 8" long tubes on Monday night, 15 regular and 12 of the peppercorn. He uses deer meat for this - and I turn the crank. Really. That's all I do - literally - turn the crank. Oh yeah, and clip the end shut. Whoppee.....




It's a very heavy piece of equipment, and has lasted well through the years. Now I have to tell you, I don't like deer meat. My DH gets meat from everyone in the area, and processes it himself. But this sausage, it's half deer/half pork. So, the spices and other meat really keep the "deer" taste from being strong. The stuffer is used to put the meat mixture into the casing, and DH has made a smoker out of an old refrigerator. It is on a thermostat, so the temperature keeps at an even temp, and the hot plates in the bottom also provide the smoke. He used apple wood this time, and it was wonderful to just smell it working.




You think it looks ucky? Well, it kinda does......but it tastes great! Click on the below link to go to more "vintage thingies"!


This is what it looks like when we get it all done and ready to put in the freezer.




But we prefer it like this!


http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

  1. We love deer sausage around here. If I could make it like that, I would. That's quite the cool setup. I bet it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I wish one of our old friends still lived in our state. I'm sure he would love to make deer sausage. We like deer meat, mostly the roast.

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat machine! I'm not a 'deer' person but I love different types of sausages. This would be fun to play around with!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool kitchen tool! It looks to be in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so neat that not only do you have a vintage treasure, but one which still works for its intended purpose! I would love your venison sausage. I'm a fan of the stuff, especially when made well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking me back to those days. Our sausage grinder did not look exactly like this, but it sure made good sausage. I am glad I am not living that life anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great machine. Now for the deer sausage...not my favorite. Deer meat is big around here and I just don't like the idea of it. People around here love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's awesome. My parents used to make their own sausage, but not on anything like that. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...that is really awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    Have a wonderful day! Be sure to visit my blog for a great giveaway!

    Sarah
    ***Visit my blog for a GIVEAWAY and new linking party!***
    http://bloggingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-wednesday-party-link-up-giveway-too.html

    ReplyDelete

Every word is read, every comment listened to, every friendship treasured. Please leave me a message.