Small Town Living at Its Best

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall have everlasting life.











Thursday, November 5, 2009

Show and Tell Friday

I have blogged about this shoe before, but I will again for Show and Tell. When I was young, I had a sister 4 years younger than I. When Mom and Dad would dress up to go out on Saturday night, Mom would come out in her pretty dress and a pair of red shoes. We would sit and stare at her and after they would leave - FIGHT over who got to wear the red shoes some day. I was sure that I would get to wear them FIRST, because I was the oldest. However, my sisters feet grew faster than mine and so I was terrified that she would get to wear them first. This became an ongoing joke, and when grown we still would tease each other about them. I was SO excited when my sister's feet were too big for the shoes! Not that either of us ever wore them, by the time our feet were big enough - they were out of style. We grew up, got married and moved away from home and forgot about the shoes. One day I got a package in the mail, and in it was the RIGHT red shoe with a silk flower arrangement in it. Mom had sent me the right shoe - because I am right handed, and my sister the left shoes - because she is left handed. I treasure that shoe to this day, and it's sitting on the dresser in my bedroom as I write this. That's my show and tell. Thanks for stopping by to visit, and please leave a comment if you have time. Go over to http://romantichome.blogspot.com/ for Show and Tell Friday.

24 comments:

  1. Sandi~~

    This is one of the cutest stories I have ever heard!! Talk about sibling rivalry. I have 5 sisters so I should know. Funny, me and my two daughter wear the same size shoes and we share those as well as make~up and jewelry. I guess there is no rivalry there!!

    Love the shoe and how your mom remembered by sending each of you one of them!!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story and treasure to have from your past!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting story.....your Mom had a great memory and sounds like a bit of a wry sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to mention that I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a sweet story. I'm sure you treasure that shoe!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great shoe with such a cute story. I came for Show and Tell , I just entered for my first time.
    I had to leave a comment to tell you you have my favorite kind of home... a humble one.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great "shoe" and tell story! I really enjoyed reading it...
    Have a wonderful week end!
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story! You and your sister can now physically cherish a memory that once was so important to the both of you. Your mom was a smart diplomat!
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by to say hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I love! your shoe and the story that goes with it. I remember wearing my mothers high heels around as well, but sadly don't have a one of them. What an adorable use for them and what a wonderful memory. I did a shoe theme one year for a Mother/Daughter event for our ladies at church. That would be the perfect centerpiece! Please come back and visit me again. Nice to meet you!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so heart warming!! I love the story behind it all. And I'm glad you decided to share it again, 'cause I would have never known. Lovely.

    My show n tell this week is glass, glass antiques. A couple of them. Come by if you can. Have a glorious weekend. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a sweet story, I'm glad I stopped by today.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story! It was very ingenius of your mom to do that!

    Thank you for sharing the story and the shoe with us today!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story! Your Mother was very clever. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, how very sweet and thoughtful. I love this story!

    So nice to visit for the first time and leave with a smile

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect way for you both to enjoy the shoes and the memories!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful story!! My sisters and I fight over my mom's cookbooks. I can imagine your surprise when you opened the box and found this inside! I love this post!! Thanks so much for sharing!-April

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now this is just the sweetest little shoe story ever! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sandi~~

    I didn't even notice that I had won from the announcement on your sidebar when I left my comment above! Hooray!! I am a new fan of Mary Carol Garrity and will love having one of her books. How generous you are! Thank you SO much!!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey! I could dance all night in those shoes. most comfortable ones I ever had. love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a sweet story! How clever of mom to give you each one of the shoes. I remember my mom getting ready to go out, and her pretty jewelry.
    I made a collage out of some of it, and some from my grandmother. :) thanks for sharing your sweet story. come by for a visit sometime.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great story and what a wonderful mom you have!!!

    ReplyDelete

Every word is read, every comment listened to, every friendship treasured. Please leave me a message.