Small Town Living at Its Best

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall have everlasting life.











Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vintage Thingie/Thrifty Thursday





If you were here earlier in the week, checking out my White Wenesday post, you saw my lamp, but did you also see what was beside it? It is a lightening rod, used earlier in this century, on top of primarily two story homes, so that instead of lightening striking the house, it would hit the rod, then follow the wire down to the ground where it would "ground" itself. It kept the home from catching on fire (hopefully). The one below is 3' tall. The reason I have them in my house, is because they have white glass "pretties" on them.

The one below is 5' tall. There are many different ones, but these days they are getting hard to find, in tact. The color, size, and shape of the "pretty" in the middle depends on who made it, and where. When we found these, the guy told my husband if he would crawl up and take them off, he could have them.

Thanks for joining me again on Vintage Thingie/Thrifty Thursday. I love it when you leave comments though!
http://www.coloradolady.blogspot.com/ is where you will find me, if you are lookin' for more vintage thingies, or you can go over to http://lbratina.blogspot.com/ for more thriftiness!

19 comments:

  1. Lightening rod -- I would have never guessed! Thanks for your sweet visit - we're really looking forward to our trip - can't wait to share the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting!! How will you use them?

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat. I have a lightening rod too. I just love mine. Yours is wonderful. They are so hard to find anymore. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of these but never saw one. It looks nice the way you have it displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, lightening rods, I never would have figured that out! They make great architectural elements- will you keep them indoors or bring them out for your garden or something like that? Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's some adventurous husband you have there! Very interesting finds, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just learned something new! These are so unique - what conversation pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I have never seen one of these, but it really is an attractive piece. I love to learn something new on VTT....are you going to keep it in the house as decor??? Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. Just don't touch the thing in a rainstorm. I sort of like it as an architectural piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen a lightning rod like this. Thanks for the info and happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lightning rods are cool. I have never seen one on a building.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW so interesting - I thought they were an imaginery thing so thank YOU for the lesson. Hope we see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! I've never seen a lightning rod before! They're really very pretty!...wonder why we don't still need them?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't recall ever seeing a lighting rod before. Thanks for sharing! Great post.
    Happy 4th,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never knew lightning rods could be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fascinating post. I'm so glad you shared these (very!) thrifty finds!

    Hope you have a happy 4th!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  17. We didn't have them but lightening rods were very prevalent in this area when I was growing up. Thanks for the reminder. Now I will have to look up and see if there are any still in place.
    Yours is so pretty with the white glass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always been fascinated with lightening rods and weather vanes and such. Those we have on our barn now are probably worth more than the rest of the barn.

    ReplyDelete

Every word is read, every comment listened to, every friendship treasured. Please leave me a message.